Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Long Trip Home

So, I was able to get out of Hong Kong on Friday afternoon. I spent the morning running around TST, the area the hotel was in, grabbing souvenirs from street vendors and the 7-Eleven. I also took a quick walk along the promenade on the bay while drinking my Starbucks. ;) I finished packing and we were off to the airport in a mad rush- the car that was picking us up was late by about 1/2 an hour. After getting to the airport and going through immigration and security, we had just enough time to hit up the Cathay Pacific club for a quick lunch at their noodle bar, accompanied by some (much more normal looking) dim sum-esque dumplings and a coke light. After eating, we made the 20 minute trek to our gate (Hong Kong International is HUGE), and I might add that those 20 minutes also included a tram ride, several escalators, and a series of moving walkways. Upon arrival at the section of gates departing to the US, we had to undergo another security checkpoint. This one was where they physically go through your carry-on bags. Oh, I might add, when we went to the first security line, I kept looking to throw out my bottle of water, because of the US security rules, but didn't have to- they allow that through the initial checkpoint and to all gates departing NOT to the US. It was only during this second security line that I had to get rid of the water. I think... I threw it out during the middle of the line just in case. I never actually saw any signs referring to the whole liquid thing, but didn't want to get yelled at.

The long-haul flight, again, was fairly empty. Chris and I were in the 3 seat section that included an aisle and window which was nice, and then it was even nicer when Chris moved to another aisle seat up a few rows so I could lay across all 3 seats. I got some pretty decent sleep on that flight. In fact, I barely read anything or watched any movies. I even slept through the Cup-of-Noodle snack, though I do faintly remember smelling it as the flight attendants were walking by with them.

I think the only thing I was not prepared for was the whole coming back to the US and waiting in a gazillion lines. The first was immigration, then we had to get our luggage, then we had to wait in another line for customs. Then there was another line to return our luggage to get checked back in. Then, since they couldn't print my boarding pass from LAX to Denver in Hong Kong, I had to wait to check in in LA. Then of course there was the security line at LAX. Thankfully there was plenty of time in between our arrival and our departing flights. We went to the Admiral's Club to wait for our connecting flights and to have a bit to eat. My flight from LA to Denver was very relaxing and comfortable, as Chris was kind enough to upgrade me to First Class for this leg of the trip. I arrived into Denver around 4pm and after meeting Brian at the airport and getting my bags was on my way back home. We got home around 6pm because of traffic and I immediately laid down on the couch. In the time it took Brian to walk from the family room to the kitchen to see what we could eat for dinner, I fell fast asleep!

I ended up waking up around 10 pm or so and we stayed up watching TV for a bit, then I fell back to sleep around 11 and slept straight through the night till about 11am Saturday morning! I attribute all that sleep to getting be right back on Denver time and back on schedule.... Though I have to admit, the nights of Saturday and Sunday I found it hard to stay awake. So that pretty much finishes up my tale of traveling to Hong Kong!

More travel tales to come, especially over the coming months, as we're going to Baltimore next week, Seattle in April, Dallas in May, Florida also in May, and Chicago in June.

No comments: