Thursday, February 23, 2006

I'm Rich, Biotch...

Last night, I went to see Dave Chappelle at the Paramount Theater. Quite an experience, as he's touring with some of his 'Block Party' entourage. The opening comedian was decently good, though it was hard to focus on him due to the group of 4 twentysomethings that were seated directly in front of us (more on them later). Dave Chappelle came on next and the next 2 hours entailed him performing, which was great, and several other acts dotted throughout the show (Erykah Badu, some DJ, and some other rapper guy that has performed on the Chappelle show a few times). It was actually a bit disappointing because Dave only really performed a total of maybe 45 minutes. The set from Erykah Badu, which I was sort psyched to see, was a bit... hmmm. What's the word? Oh yeah, boring. Not that she doesn't have a fantastic voice. She does. Not that she isn't adorably cute. She is. Just that all of her songs went from one semi/potentially cool part to another with no hooks or climax. I kept waiting for each song to get really good and it just didn't.

Oh, so these twentysomethings in front of us. Oh wait, I'm a twentysomething. Oh well... They were quite a combination. We had the hippie boy that smelled like a skunk, an Asian gangsta DJ type of dude, and two girls that were somewhere in between and it looked like they hadn't brushed their hair in a few days. These people, who I might add were not sitting on the end of an aisle, got up throughout the evening a minimum of 20 times. No joke. I don't know if any of them really even saw the show. The hippie boy, also, when he was seated, could not sit still. He was constantly sitting forward, to the left, to the right, talking to his Asian gansta buddy, chatting it up with one the girls. And did I mention he was directly in front of me for part of the night? This meant that I had to do the same thing. When he leaned to the left, I went to the right. When he leaned to the right, I leaned to the left. I'm sure I was driving the people behind me nuts as well! Midway through the performance, the Asian gangsta guy got kicked out. Not sure why. Though he did get busted earlier in the night for taking photos on his camera phone. One of the girls almost left when he got kicked out, she grabbed her belongings, made the two guys sitting on the end of the aisle get up for the fiftieth time and then 10 minutes later she was back (and the two guys had to get up for the fifty-first time). I just don't think I can even justifiably describe the ridiculousness of these four...

For those of you who have not heard, Rob and I have broken up and he has moved back to Chicago. As this is a situation that obviously involves another aside from me, I wish to leave it at that in a public forum such as this.

No comments: