Sunday, July 10, 2005

My dogs are barking....

That was some hike- 8 miles, 3,000 feet elevation change. I know numbers don't mean much if you haven't really hiked in the mountains before; it really was a LONG and steep climb up and down. I have blisters on the back of my heels the size of quarters, and quite possibly every muscle in my body is aching and sore. I must say, I don't think I could have done it without my trekking poles and my new hiking boots (those saved my ankles big time). Even with my super heavy duty hiking boots on, hiking over a trail that's made up of primarily rocks is a killer for the pads of your feet, ankles, knees, and just about every other muscle and joint in your body. I saw some people, both older and younger, doing the hike without trekking poles and even in just regular gym shoes, and also, I saw an older man running the trail. I repeat, RUNNING. I was lucky to crawl! No, really, it wasn't that bad, I was just amazed at the stamina and athleticism of some other individuals on the trail.

Anyways, the bummer of it all is that I didn't even go up to the top of the summit. Rob did, but I was about 100 feet from it and was freaking out by all of the rock scrambling that needed to be done to get up there. Unstable boulders and rocks apparently are NOT my thing. That, and carrying a pack and being completely exhausted and sore from the ascent... Anyways, even though I didn't get all the way up, I got some awesome pictures, which I'll post soon. And I got a lot farther than I thought I was going to get- it's amazing to come out of the timber and look at this mountain you're supposedly going to summit, and the people on top of it are the size of ants. Seeing that and it was looking like there were going to be some storms coming in, we almost turned back about 1/2 way up there, but we pressed on, and I'm glad we did.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention, we stopped for lunch just before the final ascent on a saddle between the summit and another smaller peak, and got to see a real Marmot about 10 feet from us. Marmots are kind of like groundhogs or prarie dogs or something. I don't know what they are, but they are cute and I got some pics of him as well.

Well, I have a feeling I'm babbling and my thoughts are not in order, so I must stop... The end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The continental divide is a magical line where rain that falls to the east of it runs off towards the east, and rain that falls towards the west of it runs off towards the west. Correct? Do I win FABULOUS PRIZES?

Anonymous said...

I went to a rock concert and didn't get home until 1:30 am. I hope this explains why I commented on the wrong post, and did not realize this question had already been answered.

I STILL WANT FABULOUS PRIZES

Jackie said...

Hmmmm... Well, your answer sounded like you really new it. My mom's answer, on the other hand, looked like it was copied and pasted from the encyclopeadia. I guess my only choice is to split the fabulous prizes between the two of you.

What are those fabulous prizes?? Just you wait.