Monday, July 17, 2006

Casa Bonita

Okay, so, I haven't blogged in a LONG time. I have lots to catch up on, so I am going to try to relive the past few week's momentous events and write about them now (finally!)

First things first... This is going way back to the beginning of July. Brian's brother came into town, and what other way to welcome one to Colorado than with a visit to the legendary Casa Bonita. I was especially excited, as I had never been there, though have seen the South Park episode that showcased the place. How can I sum up Casa Bonita?? Well, think like a Chuck E. Cheese but more of a restaurant than an arcade, terrible food, tons of kids running around, and Mexican themed.

Casa Bonita as seen on South Park:


We arrive at Casa Bonita and step within it's hallowed walls and into a long winding line reminiscient of a line for a giant roller coaster. With children outnumbering the adults and signs on the wall displaying the 'gourmet' Mexican food and taglines such as "Eat so Mucho, Peso Little," I knew this was going to be an experience I'd not soon forget. We finally get up to the part where you order your food (all you can eat Beef Deluxe dinner for $10.98!), then you continue down the line, grab a tray and collect your food cafeteria style. You wind down a curving hall to the hostess desk and then truly enter the Casa Bonita. The interior is decked out with 'authentic' mexican stylings, lush tropical pools with cliff divers (yes, cliff divers), and strolling mariachi bands (though I never saw them actually move, let alone stroll). We are seated and begin feasting on our first (and last) portion of beef tacos, enchiladas, rice, and beans. After finishing one beef enchilada, I was thinking, hmmm... this isn't so great, but I continued on with the beef taco and then finally gave up, yet not soon enough, as the rest of the night my tummy was not so great. (okay, have I mentioned that Casa Bonita is not necessarily known for the greatest food??). Anyways, we finish our meal off with the sopapillas, which were most definitely the highlight of the dinner- fried pieces of dough doused in honey, you just can't go wrong with that. After eating, we stroll the insides of Casa Bonita watching the cliff divers, a shootout between the sheriff and Black Bart (who was not black at all), a pirate hosting a pinata whacking party for the young'uns, and even saw Black Bart's cave. Now, I must mention that on the back of the menu, it boasted "dancing monkeys in costume". I was eagerly waiting to see these dancing monkeys, but then my dreams were shattered when Brian explained to me that the dancing monkeys in costume were actually the dude dressed up as a gorilla running around the restaurant while we were eating. I thought it was horribly deceptive advertising, as I truly did expect (and really wanted) to see real-live monkeys in costume dancing around the restaurant. Oh well, what can you do.... Despite the terrible food, Casa Bonita is an experience that must be had by all. I can't wait to have kids so I can frequent this joint a whole bunch more!

The Real Casa Bonita:

You can check it out at: http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

No comments: