Monday, July 17, 2006

Dirty Hippies at Red Rocks

On the fourth of July, after surviving the hangover from hell, we went to Red Rocks to tailgate and see Blues Traveler perform. We got to Red Rocks early enough to get into the prized parking lot super close to the entrance, dined on KFC (there's a fire ban so no grilling), dranks some beers, and people watched. The people watching was awesome. Lots of hippies. Lots of them. Hippies selling chocolate (which steve informed us was really chocolate infused with shrooms), hippies selling glass pipes, and the latest (or at least new to me) fad for hippies is to hula hoop. The hula hooping ran rampant in the parking lot. I had no idea of this phenomenom and that hippies loved to hula hoop so much. And let me say they hula hoop quite well. I had no idea there would be so many hippies at a Blues Traveler concert, but I guess it makes sense since it's a jam band and in that was is Phish-esque. Steve is a huge Phish fan so he knew the type of crowd quite well and taught us about all of the code words and whatnot. It was quite an educational concert experience.

Danielle and I tailgating:


We finally go into the ampitheater, grab a beer, our seats, and start watching the opening band. Johnny Lang?? I can't remember, except I do remember not really caring for him much. As his set is about to end, it starts to rain. Then it starts to POUR. THEN... I'm almost certain it was hailing. Or at least sleeting. We all huddled under the blanket I brought, of course still getting soaked and waited for Blues Traveler to come on.

Danielle and I under the blanket during the storm:


The rain finally ended, Blues Traveler came on and we enjoyed the concert. After the first intermission (yes, they took a break, something I was not too familiar with, but apparently is the status quo at jam band shows), we walked to the edge of the theater and got to watch nearly a dozen area firework shows. Red Rocks is sort of in the foothills, so higher than the Denver metro area, so we could see out to all the Denver/burbs shows, it was really awesome. We ended up leaving the show a little early still a little soggy from the storm earlier in the night.

No comments: