Monday, April 03, 2006

The weekend

I was able to cross off quite a few things on my Colorado To-Do list this weekend and had quite a good time doing so. I finally, finally, finally got to experience all that is el chapultepec. Picture an old bar- like half-dive/half-retro, vinyl upholstered bar, eclectic mix of people, burritos and tacos being served, and a live jazz band playing, tucked away in the corner. The jazz band was quite good and was led by an old man on the drums, Gene Bass. He was absolutely adorable.

On Saturday, I went down to Colorado Springs with Brian on a tourist day. First we stopped at the Air Force Academy, but I was quite disappointed because Brian got me all psyched up because when you enter there is someone there that salutes you and I really wanted to be saluted, but we arrived at the academy and the entrance gate was empty. No salutes or salutations. :(

After the Air Force Academy, we went to Garden of the Gods- absolutely beautiful and awesome, in the true sense and meaning of the word awesome... It's incredible that this place is a free park. Before heading back home, we went to Old Colorado City, the first territorial capital of Colorado. It's a nice little downtown with little shops and restaurants and even a French bakery. So, about this bakery... Needing a little caffeine and without a starbucks in sight, we decided to get some coffee at this bakery. I try ordering a double shot of espresso with whipped cream. Much to my dismay, I was informed, rather rudely, that they didn't have whipped cream. So then I just ordered a latte. Thinking this was a fairly easy request, I was suprised by the slew of questions that proceeded, again with the rude tone. After seeing my ordering experience, I think Brian gave up on ordering anything coffee or espresso related, so he ordered a chai, thinking that was a rather easy order. But, no... mr. rude bakery worker then attacked Brian with a bunch of questions- hot/cold, latte/non latte, etc. And I thought ordering coffee at Starbucks could be a daunting task...

Sunday: mostly took it easy, did a little work, did a little sodoku and crossword puzzling. I was both happy and sad that the clocks changed. Happy because it was light out later, sad because I lost an hour....

No comments: