Monday, March 06, 2006

Face to Face with Buffalo Bill.

Another gorgeous weekend in Colorado. Springlike weather inspired the planning (and execution) of a tourist day. On Saturday, I visited Buffalo Bill's grave up near (or maybe on??) Lookout Mountain, which lies just west of Denver and is also host to a slew of radio towers. Quite interestingly, my mom had visited his birthplace in Wyoming many moons ago when she was on a family trip to Yellowstone as a little girl. The gravesite is located high above Denver and there are many lookout points to see the city and plains, and the Coors brewery- it's really an awesome view (if you can see past all of the radio towers!). Of course, I had to visit the giftshop where I picked up an awesome Buffalo Bill magnet and perused the countless tchatchkes (think plastic cap guns, Native American figurines, slices of trees with a lovely image of the Rockies decoupaged on, lots of polished rocks, shot glasses...).

After paying my respects to Buffalo Bill, we headed to the Coors Brewery for a tour and, more importantly, free samples. I got to taste the freshest Coors Light available during the middle of the tour, then at the end of the tour, there is a tasting room where you get 3 free beers. I had to have another fresh Coors Light, then also had a Hard Punch Zima slushie, and a Blue Moon. So fresh, cold, and tasty. Good stuff. And of course, I hit up the gift shop to pick up a magnet in commemoration of my consumption of the freshest Coors Light in the world.

Oh gosh, how could I not mention my Friday night. My friend Kimberly had her birthday celebration at the Purple Martini downtown; quite a swank little bar. Apparently our reservations got screwed up, so they placed us in the infamous Ladies Lounge, which I heard so much about after Danielle was here on New Year's Eve. This is like a little side bar with it's own door, seats, benches, etc. that is right next to the Women's bathroom. Normally only women are allowed in this area, but this night, they let the boys in... I had planned on trying a few different types of martinis, but after having my first "pink panties" martini, I was hooked. My pink panties (the drink not the undergarment) also led to many dirty jokes for the rest of the evening. Topped the night off with dinner at Wazee Supper Club. Had some great pizza there and my only non-girly drink of the night, a beer.

Sunday was also beautiful outside. Relaxed for most of the day, took a walk, and even got to watch my alma mater, Bradley University, get slaughtered in the Missouri Valley Conference championship basketball game vs. SIU. It was so sad to see them do so badly, but I was thrilled to actually get to watch them on TV for once and they were oh-so-close to getting into the NCAA tournament. Actually, they still do have a chance from what I understand, but their performance in Sunday's game most likely nullified that opportunity.

No comments: