Thursday, May 04, 2006

Top 5...

thoughts about music. Why? because (1) I just finished reading High Fidelity, thus the Top 5 list AND (2) simply because I've been thinking about random things like this lately.

Top 5 Thoughts about Music [05.04.06]

1. I get very upset when I discover a band that I really like only to find out they broke up years ago. I recall this happening when I first listened to Failure several years ago. It was a CD like no other, I fell in love with it. Then, much to my dismay (and bewilderment- I seriously could not believe the album I was listening to was THAT old and that they were never more popular), I found out it was from 1996 and they broke up long ago.

2. The Radio. I once thought it pure evil, aside from the jazz station broadcasted from College of Dupage. Now, without a CD player in my car, I find myself listening to it ALL of the time, at least 90% of the time, when I forget to bring the ipod or my awesome mix cassette tapes that I made in High School. Anyways, I digress... I find myself liking the radio, maybe not all of the music, but it makes me feel young and more 'with it'. I know now all of the popular songs and don't feel like an idiot when people are talking about Sean Paul and I have no clue who he is. By the way, that Sean Paul song rules, I literally do a seat dance when that comes on in the car, and when I hear it on the verizon commercial... somebody better stop me.

3. Kelly Clarkson: love, Love, LOVE this album. I have to say whoever produced/wrote these songs is PURE genius. Seriously. Even my mom didn't believe me when I said I wanted this CD. At least 5 of the album's 12 songs are huge hits. That in itself is huge, and seriously, it's about 20 times more amazing since this girl came from American Idol. Okay, let's just say, I can't get enough of Kelly.

4. Something that irks me: bands that make a come-back after being relatively unpopular (and refuse to give up) for years. Example: Pearl Jam. I'm not quite sure why this bothers me so much, perhaps it's because I remember listening to Pearl Jam as a freshman in high school and I just feel like they are now has-beens. Is that wrong? Loved them in high school, hate them now. And honestly, I haven't even heard their new single yet, I am just basing this purely on feeling and not objectively on their current music.

5. Something I love: good bands that come back after being on hiatus for years. Example: can I tell you how excited I am to see the Smoking Popes in just two weeks?! I never got to see them back in the 90s, and now I get my chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wait until you start listening to country music!!!

jen

Jackie said...

Now, I'm quite sure my country music listening will not expand beyond Johnny Cash and [shhhh... this is going to get embarassing] Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks.

Anonymous said...

Dixie Chicks ROCK!!!!