Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Getting settled in....

Ah... alas, I have discovered that working from home is sheer bliss. Watching Sesame Street right now (our cable isn't being installed till tomorrow), so it's either this, Home Shopping Network, or some crappy soap on CBS. Wow, I can't wait to get cable. Anyways, we're surrounded by boxes and packing material still... Slowly getting unpacked and settled in.

Our trip to Denver was mostly uneventful, and to our complete delight, we saw numerous llamas (aka "Tina's" for all you Napoleon Dynamite fans out there) along the way. Drove mostly 55mph or so, as dictated by the super cool U-Haul truck that Rob was driving. I was following in the expedition with the Kayaks on top and my bike on the back... We made it to York, Nebraska the first day, then all the way to our new home sweet home on the second day of the drive. Mikey fared the trip quite well, despite not eating, drinking, pooping, or peeing for a good solid 48 hours. A few meows here and there, but he was mostly dazed the whole drive. Our new place is nice- lots and lots of stairs. We are both going to have buns of steel after this move in. It's 32 stairs (yep, we counted) to our bedroom and Rob's studio. My office is on the first floor (thank goodness, because my books and art supplies weigh a ton!) and the 2nd floor is the living room/kitchen/dining room.

We met our neighbors to one side of us- a couple from Texas with a little boy. They seem really nice. Though, yesterday we were a little astounded at the 3 or 4 year old out behind our place in the parking/driveway area with an electric scooter that he no doubt did not know how to use. Oh yeah, and he was unsupervised and just about hit our expedition a half dozen times. Anyways, they are nice and want to have dinner sometime, so that was a nice invitation. :)

Let's see... What else is new..... We went to the Rockies game yesterday- which was fun- they won and we had a nice hot dog and coors light lunch. Oh yeah, and some good ol' nachos too. Last night I set up our DSL and was really missing Todd because I couldn't figure out the whole wireless networking bit. Rob was able to figure it out and now we were up and runing! Prior to this, we were going to the coffee shop 2 blocks from us because they have free wireless and then a couple days ago, I was able to log onto "Lloyd and Josh's" wireless network (apparently one of our neighbor's unsecured wireless network!), so I have been able to VERY slowly get email and browse the internet. You never realize how much you rely on internet access till you don't have it all the time. Especially moving to a new place, not having a phone book, you really need to look up where stores are at. I was calling my mom almost daily asking her to look up where the nearest Home Depot or Wal-Mart was!

Aside from the typical unpacking and utility woes (don't even get me started on Comcast or Qwest's lack of customer service), Denver is treating us great! We're enjoying the view of the mountains and being so close to restaurants (I LOVE walking to go get a pizza or tacos or coffee!!). Yep, I'm a dork. Mikey is adjusting quite well- he usually walks around meowing all morning long, then gets used to the new surroundings and chills for the rest of the day. Rob's all set up in his studio/office and working... It's the one room in the house that looks semi-decent. That, and the kitchen is coming along too. I'll post some pics (if I can) of our new place once it's looking more like a home and not a college dorm room!

I hope everyone is doing great and I promise to return your phone calls soon- I must apologize for the delay-- just been so busy with getting the house live-able. Hopefully my blog isn't too boring- I just thought this might be a good way to keep you all up to date with our new colorado life! Love you and miss you all!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie and Jesus-Sounds like you are settling in and becoming Colorado residents. Don't forget about us back in Chicago--we miss and love you.
p.s- we have had some great weather and the table has been used everyday.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, Happy Spring! I love your Blogger page, this should be fun. It's quite lovely; did you design it yourself? Yes, we would love some pictures. Missing you and love you, MOM