Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Search for the Holy ... Pillow.

Wow, what an exciting weekend this has been... First off, Friday was beautiful- I planned my dinners for the next few days, did my grocery shopping at my new favorite store, Super Wal-Mart. Man, that place rules. Such good prices and they have EVERYTHING there. I love it. I made a tasty Thai dish Friday night, so I stopped by Pacific Ocean Marketplace (an Asian market down the street from us) on my way back from Wal-Mart to get a couple ingredients that Wal-Mart didn't have like some Thai Chili Paste. They have some way-cool dishes and Buddha's and lots of unique foods and ingredients.

Saturday morning we got up fairly early and made our first expedition (in the Expedition- ha) into the mountains as Colorado residents... We drove up to Boulder, then west into the mountains and north up a gorgeous scenic drive to Rocky Mountain National Park. It was so gorgeous up there. It took us a couple hours to get to the park thanks to my scenic route, so by the time we got to the main entrance gate to the park, we didn't want to pay the 20 bucks to get in for just a short while (the weather was looking questionable by then too). However, we did go to the gift shop and bought a super cool book and some magnets and postcards. We did drive through some of the free part of the park by Longs Peak and had a picnic lunch up there. It was definitely worth the drive, and we found a much faster and shorter drive home (it's about 50 miles from our house, on a semi-major highway).

When we got back into the Denver Metro area, we decided to continue our search for a sofa... So we went to a few places and finally landed at Scandinavian Designs (same as Dania Furniture back in Chi-town) where we found possibly the perfect couch. Well, as close to perfect we were going to get on our budget. It's a lovely "fawn" colored sofa in a respectable micro-fiber (not our favorite, but it'll work). After loading it up in the truck and getting back to our place, the two of us lugged it through the front door, up the stairs, and into the living room (moving heavy furniture with me is always an experience, but we won't go there right now...). Now, we are finally looking like we have a real home! After getting the sofa situated, we decided we needed to get some more color into the room, and to my surprise, Rob agreed to go pillow shopping with me right then and there. We went to Kohl's where we found some brown comfy pillows, but didn't really find the burst of color we wanted for the living room. So we bought those and continued on in our search... Off to the Great Indoors (where I did find a super pimp green pillow for our bedroom), Pier 1 Imports, Linens n' Things, (we had to stop and eat at this point and I got Rob a little drunk so we could continue on in our search for pillows after dinner), Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel (they were closed by the time we got there- dang it!), Foley's and finally Dillards.... Rob was, needless to say, getting a little discouraged by this point, and about to pass out when we happened upon the perfect pillows. And, on sale! It was meant to be. Maybe Rob agreed to get them because he just wanted to go home, but, as I look at their grandeur right now, I am very happy with the purchase! They look great with the couch, the leather recliner, and the first brown pillows we bought too! Next up, the search for a rug... I can't wait.

Today there is apparently a blizzard blanketing the Denver area. It's nuts outside. We might get a foot or more... But tomorrow it's going to be 50 degrees, then 67 on Wednesday and Thursday, so no doubt it won't last for long. That's the great thing about Denver weather, it'll snow a bunch one day, then the next day it'll be all melted...

I've finally downloaded some pictures and I will post some for you to view! Now, I must get back to my coupon clipping and coffee drinking as I sit in my recliner by my fireplace watching the Cubbies on tv and the blizzard outside... Wow, I sound like an old lady.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
I love your blog! Sounds like you two are settling in! Hey, I know about that moving furniture stuff -it doesn't help when one person is way tall and the other one isn't!
Only one comment was a little off -what's wrong with "old ladies" anyway??? Just kidding. Hope you're having fun. Miss you!
Love, Marilyn